|First Appearance||The Magic School Bus at the Waterworks (1986)|
|Catchphrase|| "Come on, you weasley wimps!"|
"What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do?"
"[Things] at [blank] o'clock!"
|Family|| Mrs. Li (mother)|
William Li (brother)
Henry Li (brother, books)
|Voiced By||Lisa Yamanaka|
Wanda enjoys sports, fighting, rock music and hanging out with boys. She has her electric guitar to practice her rock music. She's tough and can be aggressive, but she also has a soft caring side.
Wanda is an Asian-American girl with short black hair. Her normal outfit consists of a pink shirt, a maroon vest, maroon trousers, white socks, and black Mary Jane shoes. Her signature colors are pink and maroon.
Wanda is the most boisterous and toughest tomboy of the class. She's always willing to jump into adventure and going where "no kid has gone before." Despite her tough exterior, she loves ballet, especially The Nutcracker. Her favorite singer is Molly Cule, and, like Ralphie, she loves sports. Despite appearing shorter than the others at times, she's the highest jumper in the class. In "Takes a Dive," she shows her love of pirates and desire to be one. She also has an interest in acting and aviation.
Despite having told her he's no good under pressure, Wanda has Arnold try to break a gum chewing record for her in "For Lunch." Since she has a new filling, she can't do it herself, but she wants the prize for breaking the record: Two free tickets to Action Mountain. She has a pet bullfrog named Bella that she seems to spoil in "Hops Home," but Bella gets loose, and when Wanda finds that she's happy in her natural habitat, she leaves her there. She wins a class rot competition in "Meets the Rot Squad," her prize being a baby tree. She wants to plant it on an abandoned lot (which she plans to turn into a park called "Wanda World"), but after touring the rotted log, she regrets calling Larry's Log Away.
Wanda's love of flying and dream of being a pilot is shown in "Taking Flight." After hearing about a sea monster at the bottom of Walker Lake, she decides she must dive in to find it ("Ups and Downs"). As it turns out, it's a hoax created by local TV reporter, Gerri Poveri, much to her disappointment. The monster tries to defeat Wanda.
In "In the Arctic," she mentions her hate for the cold. Instead of going on a field trip to a bridge being built, the class ends up shrunk in her house in "Under Construction" when her little brother, William, gets a hold of the shrinkerscope. She wishes recycling had never been invented in "Holiday Special" after her favorite toy soldier is accidentally recycled.
When Wanda's favorite singer, Molly Cule, is in town, she proposes the class set up a car wash, as Molly gets her car cleaned before every show ("Meets Molly Cule"). She's thrilled to find out Molly and Ms. Frizzle are old friends. She wants to help Arnold find out why he's orange in "Goes Cellular," and in "Takes a Dive," she refuses to work in partners, wanting to go solo as a pirate during a treasure hunt.
- Her mother makes her first appearance in "Going Batty" but doesn't have a speaking part. She returns in "Ups and Downs" and "Under Construction." She's a science journalist and has a habit of keeping reptiles in the house, such as an alligator in the bathtub or a Gila monster in the sandbox. Her father is neither seen nor mentioned.
- She has a baby brother named William, who's a toddler. While he can walk and (somewhat) talk, he's also being potty trained and uses a bottle.
- She also has a pet dog who is a Cocker Spaniel.
- She's most often shown to be the shortest in the class.
- Her favorite singer is Molly Cule.
- When she has a Mallowblaster in her lunch, she "hogs it all for herself."
- She dislikes the cold weather.
- She has aspirations of becoming a pilot and an actress.
- She's the highest jumper in the class.
- She is the first main character to cry, as seen in Holiday Special.
- Although Wanda and her family are of Chinese descent, her voiceover Lisa Yamanaka is of Japanese descent.
- In the German dub, her name is Connie.
- It is implied in "For Lunch", "Meets the Rot Squad", "Holiday Special" and "Gets Charged" that she has a crush on Arnold.
- It's been strangely known for quite some times over the years that fans believe that Wanda bears a strong resemblance to an older character of another TV show named Gi from Cartoon Network's Captain Planet.
- Also, she bears a weak resemblance to another older character in the helicopter singing the intro of "Cliff Hanger" from Between the Lions.
|Walkerville Elementary School|
|Ms. Frizzle • Fiona Frizzle • Mr. Ruhle • Mr. McClean|
|Arnold Perlstein • Carlos Ramon • Dorothy Ann • Janet Perlstein • Jyoti Kaur • Keesha Franklin • Mikey Ramon • Phoebe Terese • Ralphie Tennelli • Tim • Wanda Li|
|Wanda Li • William Li • Mrs. Li • Wanda's Dog|